What tools do we use for data wrangling?

NEW: :construction: toolbox.schoolofdata.ch :hammer_and_wrench: - a collection of open source tools organised and presented according to the School of Data pipeline.

Other software used regularly by folks around here:

Spreadsheets: LibreOffice Calc, Recline.js, Google, Ethercalc

Making charts: Datawrapper, Plot.ly, D3.js & NVD3, Chartist.js

Processing and transforming: OpenRefine, R-Fiddle, PyData

With free online apps like DataBasic, IFTTT and Import.io anyone - regardless of coding ability - can start making things with data right away!

Visit the Data Journalism Handbook to learn how data visualisation works, and dataviz.tools for more…tools. To learn to explore tabular data, check out the Analyzing data, Cleaning data and Spreadsheet Formulae tutorials.

For geodata wrangling visit our Open mapping workshop thread.

Further lists of data wrangling tools can be found at the Opendata.ch wiki, the School of Data Handbook and Open Knowledge labs.

Feel free to share your own!

The question was just asked in [18-24.3] Monitoring COVID19 effects if there are good tools for realtime collaboration on datasets, so I’d like to update this thread with a couple of suggestions of open alternatives to Google, Microsoft, Zoho, ONLYOFFICE, or other commercial web-based office programs, as well as a couple of up and comers:

• Ethercalc is still actively developed and as far as I know is the easiest to use open source one-click online spreadsheet.
  • OpenRefine is going strong, had a new release at the beginning of the year with some neat features like Wikidata support. We have our own community-run instance, just ask for the password if you need it.
  • Nextcloud is the web-based version of LibreOffice, and there are plenty of good providers out there, including a few here in Switzerland, which won’t charge you an arm and a leg.
  • AirTable is a next generation product with a lot of integration and smart features. Groovy.
  • Notion is a popular new collaboration tool with table editing features, see Reading List template for example.

One more I forgot to mention yesterday that’s gaining quite a lot of endorsement among fellow data wranglers is https://workbenchdata.com/

It’s kind of like Tableau or Datawrapper, but open source and with a fresh UI. Reviews welcome.