Data in the classroom

For those of us who can look back on experience* going through the Swiss school system: could you relate any interesting school projects that involve working with online data and databases, or share any creative ideas of in-school activities that could be boosted with content on this topic?

My question is provoked by a workshop I supported yesterday at the Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich), for teachers who were preparing curricula on this subject following Lehrplan 21 guidelines. They were very interested in Open Data, in particular the idea of using interesting and accessible public data sources in the classrooms: they asked me to suggest starting points, activities and easily picked up tools.

Excerpt from the Lehrplan21 curriculum on Data Structures

For the workshop, I ran a general introduction to unconditional,basic,data adapted from our 2017 conference workshop, and demonstrated in a hands-on way how data is created, published and republished then found on the Internet; the how and why of open data portals; and demoed several open source tools: WordCounter, OpenRefine, GoodTables, LibreOffice Calc… Further waypoints:

What I did not have time to cover but hope to get some advice on for future sessions of this type are Jupyter and R notebooks: modern mechanisms for showing and sharing data science, and possibly the best way right now to create dataful interactive material for teachers. Integrating with platforms like Moodle and other MOOCs could be a way to make this easier to explain.

In addition to this, I have been recently volunteering in my local school to do some occasional (very basic) IT instruction, and continuing conversations with people from the RaumBildung space where some of our first Data Expeditions took place. New people bring fresh perspective, and workshops like these help sharpen the focus on actual needs. Thanks to Eike and Jörg for the opportunity.

And I would like to keep talking here about hands on activities for kids of all ages, getting them to think about data out in the playground, making databases with sticks and stones, pen and paper, even LEGO™. Do we really need to train teenagers in Pivot tables and SQL queries? They should anyway really learn SPARQL instead, but I digress. I have been thinking about contributing to STEM or starting a Coder Dojo for a while, and carving space and time out for this as an important part of my engagement as parent and professional.

Any other ideas to add, classroom memories of your own to share?

* to be accurate, back in the day I did the Geneva-run IB program while a high school student in Canada. It was a very long time ago, in Internet years, and I’m pretty sure that either Multiplan or VisiCalc was the first spreadsheet I used… just to give you an idea of how much of a dinosaur I am… Yet surely forever indebted to my secondary teachers at Rosedale for encouraging an early fascination with numbers and keyboards. :sauropod:

Im Rahmen des CAS PICTS konnte ich für Teilnehmende der PH Zürich zwei Workshops zum Thema “Open Data in der Schule” anbieten. Die Lehrpersonen bilden sich für den Zertifikatslehrgang «Pädagogischer ICT-Support» vor allem im Bereich “Medien & Informatik (LP21)” weiter.

“Workshoptitel: School of Data.CH”

Potentiale von “Open Data” für den Unterricht entdecken: Mit offenen Daten (z.B. OpenStreetMap, Wikidata, einzelnen Datenquellen, …) lassen sich interessante Dinge anstellen, der Medienbildungshorizont erweitern und auch neue Handlungsperspektiven aufzeigen. Ein Do-it-yourself Ansatz als Beginn eines individuellen Lernwegs zu mehr “Data Literacy”.

Neben der Erweiterung der Medienkompetenz ging es mir vor allem darum ein Verständnis für offene Daten zu vermitteln.
Als anschauliche Beispiele, welche einen Transfer in Unterricht ermöglichen sollen, habe ich

Wichtig war mir der partizipative Charakter der Werkzeuge, durch welchen Schülerinnen und Schüler auch Datensätze aktualisieren können. Weiterhin haben sich durch das zuvor unbekannte OpenStreetMap einige Diskussionen und Vergleiche mit Mainstream-Anwendungen wie Google Maps/ Apple Maps ergeben: vor allem vor dem Hintergrund, wie diese Unternehmen Nutzerdaten auswerten und in diese Produkte einfliessen lassen.

Ich hoffe, dass auch diejenigen Lehrpersonen, welche nicht auf der Sekundarstufe unterrichten, zumindest persönlich von der Horizontweiterung profitieren konnten.
Weiterhin fand ich es sehr schön auch Rückmeldungen wie beispielsweise zur Wasserschatzsuche (für 10-15jährige) von Swisstopo mitaufnehmen zu können.

Anbei teile ich die Ergebnisse im CSV-Format von der anfänglichen Erhebung mit:

Diese Umfrage hat für die Öffnung des Themenkomplexes, Bezug in Diskussionen und für eine Auflockerung zwischendurch beim Ansehen und Kommentieren der Ergebnis-Visualisierung von Google Forms erst möglich gemacht.

1 Like

Ich werde mich freuen um dich und diese Initiative zu Unterstutzen an der UNM-Tagung in Oktober, Jörg. Inzwischen können wir uns an die Beispiele und Inputs aus der Community wenden, so wie die Hackdays am letzten Wochenende.

Ein kleines Update, um zu zeigen dass das Thema auch nach einigen Workshops fĂĽr uns noch aktuell ist:

Herzlichen Dank an Adrian Albisser für die Erlaubnis die Veröffentlichung seines Berichts “Mit offenen Daten eigenen Fragen nachgehen” zu meinem Workshop am Open Education Day. Der Einfachheit ergänze ich hier den direkten, erwähnten Link des Blogs web2-unterricht.ch zu weiteren Open Data Materialien

Meine verwendeten Folien sind auf https://hackmd.io/@jb/ry_Ci_pvE öffentlich verfügbar (CC-by).

Open Data finde ich sinnvoll in Verbindung mit Bildung fĂĽr Nachhaltige Entwicklung zu kombinieren.

Viel Erfolg und Mut beim Einsatz von Open Data im fächerübergreifenden Unterricht!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this here @joerg - really appreciate all the efforts going into this. Very insightful presentation.

Screenshot%20from%202019-07-29%2016-11-10

<3 the last slide